• Latest News

    Sunday, September 6, 2026

    WHEN I HAD TO SLAP MYSELF

    KYIDOM

     Sometimes the biggest battle in life is not you against the world. It is you against yourself.

    I looked at the man standing in front of me and something felt strangely familiar.

    Same face.

    Same eyes.

    Same body.

    Same confidence.

    Same stubbornness.

    Then I realized the uncomfortable truth.

    I was looking at myself.

    But this was not an ordinary meeting between two people. This was a meeting between two versions of the same man.

    And somehow, things got so serious that I had to slap myself.

    Before you start wondering what happened, relax. Nobody was injured. It was just one of those funny moments that can make you laugh while also making you think deeply about life.

    Because behind that funny picture is a serious message. Sometimes, you need to wake yourself up.

    THE TWO PEOPLE INSIDE US

    There is a side of us that dreams big.

    That side wakes up in the morning believing that something better is possible. It makes plans. It talks about success. It imagines travelling, building businesses, helping people, becoming better and leaving something meaningful behind.

    Then there is another side.

    The side that says, “Tomorrow.”

    Tomorrow I will start.

    Tomorrow I will save money.

    Tomorrow I will exercise.

    Tomorrow I will finish that project.

    Tomorrow I will make that important phone call.

    Tomorrow I will stop wasting time.

    And before you realize it, tomorrow becomes next week.

    Next week becomes next month.

    Next month becomes another year.


    The dream is still there, but the person chasing the dream has not moved very far.

    That is when you sometimes need to have a serious conversation with yourself.

    Or, in my case, perhaps a slap.


    YOU CAN BE YOUR OWN BIGGEST PROBLEM

    We often blame other people for where we are in life.

    We blame the economy.

    We blame our families.

    We blame our friends.

    We blame our employers.

    We blame the government.

    Sometimes those things genuinely make life difficult. Nobody should pretend otherwise.

    But there are also moments when we have to look honestly in the mirror and ask:

    “Am I also part of the problem?”

    Maybe the opportunity came, but I was not prepared.

    Maybe I had the idea, but I never acted on it.

    Maybe I knew what I needed to do, but I kept postponing it.

    Maybe I was afraid of failing, so I never tried.

    Maybe I was waiting for someone to rescue me when I should have started rescuing myself.

    That realization can hurt.

    But it can also be the beginning of change.

    THE SLAP IS NOT ABOUT HATING YOURSELF

    There is a difference between correcting yourself and destroying yourself.

    You do not have to hate yourself because you made mistakes.

    You do not have to insult yourself because you failed.

    You do not have to spend your entire life regretting things you cannot change.

    The purpose of the slap is to wake you up, not to break you.

    Tell yourself:

    “Enough.”

    Enough excuses.

    Enough procrastination.

    Enough fear.

    Enough waiting for the perfect moment.

    Enough comparing your journey to someone else's.

    Enough talking without action.

    Then get up and try again.


    SOMETIMES YOUR FUTURE SELF IS WAITING FOR YOU

    Imagine meeting the person you could become five years from now.

    That person is disciplined.

    That person is financially wiser.

    That person has completed the things you are currently postponing.

    That person has developed skills you have not yet learned.

    That person has survived difficulties you are currently afraid of.

    That person may look at you and ask one simple question:

    “Why didn't you start when you had the chance?”

    That question should make all of us think.

    Because the future does not suddenly become better by itself.

    It is built from the decisions we make today.

    Every book you read.

    Every skill you learn.

    Every bad habit you abandon.

    Every opportunity you take seriously.

    Every time you choose discipline over comfort.

    They all contribute to the person you eventually become.

    SO, WHO WAS THE SLAP REALLY FOR?

    Maybe the slap was not for the other version of me.

    Maybe it was for the part of me that keeps making excuses.

    Maybe it was for the fear that keeps telling me I cannot do it.

    Maybe it was for procrastination.

    Maybe it was for doubt.

    Maybe it was for the version of me that knows better but sometimes refuses to do better.

    And perhaps that is why the picture makes me laugh.

    Because we have all been there.

    We have all had moments when we needed someone to tell us the truth.

    Sometimes that person is a friend.

    Sometimes it is a parent.

    Sometimes it is a teacher.

    Sometimes it is a difficult experience.

    And sometimes, that person has to be ourselves.


    LOOK IN THE MIRROR

    The next time you feel stuck, do not immediately look around for someone to blame.

    Look in the mirror.

    Ask yourself:

    What am I doing well?

    What am I doing wrong?

    What am I postponing?

    What am I afraid of?

    What can I change today?

    You may not be able to change everything at once.

    But you can change something.

    Start small.

    Take one step.

    Make one decision.

    Complete one task.

    Learn one new thing.

    And then take another step.

    Because sometimes the distance between where you are and where you want to be is not crossed in one giant move.

    It is crossed through thousands of small decisions.


    THE REAL FIGHT

    Life will give us many opponents.

    But one of the toughest opponents we will ever face is the person we see in the mirror.

    That person knows our weaknesses.

    That person knows our excuses.

    That person knows what we are capable of.

    And that person knows exactly how long we have been postponing the things we said we would do.

    So yes, sometimes you have to fight yourself.

    Sometimes you have to correct yourself.

    Sometimes you have to encourage yourself.

    Sometimes you have to forgive yourself.

    And sometimes, metaphorically speaking, you just have to give yourself a good slap and say, “Wake up. We have work to do.”

    Because your future is waiting.

    And nobody can build it for you.

    It is you versus you.

    And this time, make sure you win.



    THINK AHEAD

    • Blogger Comments
    • Facebook Comments

    0 comments:

    Item Reviewed: WHEN I HAD TO SLAP MYSELF Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Kyidom Bright
    Scroll to Top